Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Evaluation: Under the Surface 2

Oops, almost forgot to write this one. Not that it would make much of a difference, didn't really make much progress. I would like to blame something other than my lack of motivation, possibly the Welsh, but no such luck.

Though the week only saw a few sentences of writing and then me getting stuck at the end of a scene, I had a couple ideas earlier today. I'm still iffy about them, because they move the series into more of a typical urban fantasy setting and less into, um, whatever it was before. I was in distinct lack of any specific details, but what I wanted to do with it was more philosophical and original. 

As it turns out, though, I can't expect my every work to be deep, original, and well-written. So far I have more or less failed at all of those, particularly the last one. And the whole point of this exercise is to become a better writer, not assume I already am one. Best predictor for success is practice. It is an unavoidable fact that I am not at the level I want to be, or near it, and that I won't get there without writing more. And I can't write more if avoid the things that will be fun to write, even if not as original as I want, in favour of vague promises of deepness that I have no idea how to make concrete.

It is not without some regret that I decide to take Under The Surface in a new direction, it feels like killing off potential. But, as I keep reminding me, I can write deepness later, when I, y'know, can write at all and have an actual idea to work with. Satan's chosen tool sounded like a great way to start that, but I'll find others. If something I don't lack, it's vague general ideas. It's the specifics of the plot that I need, and I can work that much better in the admittedly more familiar context I'm going with. Sad but true. Hopefully it will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment