Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Evaluation: Fehu

Blergh, another week skipped. Void's origin story hit a roadblock, I have no idea how to go on from there.

Good news is, I got a decent idea for... another Vurok origin story! I have to thank James Patterson for it, really, I was reading a book of his and it was so lame my mind started figuring out ways it could be improved. And, lo and behold, I came up with a magic system for the Vurokverse I like much better than the previous one. Which means, yes, finally Machi gets point-of-view and a story, and it seems to be flowing much easier than Void's.

The magic system does have some potential for easy overpowering, so I will have to keep checks on that. Vurokians are not supposed to be demigods. But other than that, it's cleaner, it makes more sense, and it's allows for things like unusually powerful magical effects that cannot be replicated at will, which is useful. I don't want to have to keep track of every little thing mages can do and then have to make sure they aren't conveniently forgetting their powers according to the demands of the plot.

The upcoming scene might just be the first time one of my Vurok characters gets mentioned by birth name. Or at least by a nickname based on the name. I've yet to have a point-of-view character whose real first name is known (except possibly Denise, depending on what you consider her "real" name to be). Ana was going to be the first, but I scrapped that story and then Golden Sky was told from Jack's perspective (Jack is also a fake name, incidentally). So yeah, possible milestone. I get excited by the weirdest thing

On the title, Fehu is the first rune in the Elder Futhark, which seemed an appropriate title for story about beginnings and magic. Plus it gives me a potential naming scheme for further stories along that line, though I doubt I'll go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment