Monday, November 15, 2010

Evaluation: Golden Sky 1

You might be looking at the title and wondering what the hell is up. Then again maybe not, because I doubt I have "regular" readers. In any case, before last week's hiatus, I was working on "Under the Surface", sequel to Graduality. Well, I got an Idea, so that changed. Two Ideas, actually, the first being the basic premise of Golden Sky and the second that it could easily be adapted into a sequel to Graduality, scrapping the much worse thing I was working on. It might eventually be revived, but as of now it's dead. Anna is no longer the protagonist of this work, or at least not the sole protagonist. You'll see when it's done.

Right now the intro is written and soon I have to start the big flashback to how it all starts. The intro is set right before the aforementioned Golden Sky, the plot deals with how it that happened. It might be split into two works before reaching the Golden Sky point, depending, and then it might continue

I'm a bit iffy about writing an older Anna, mostly because I had timed Graduality so she'd be a teenager by the time of the sequel set in 2010. I don't like writing a plot set in the near future, that's the kind of thing that ages badly 10 years down the line when it turns out the Internet was replaced with chewin' on skunks and cars are considered a crime against humanity for their pollutants. But I really wrote myself into this corner, and I'm not in the mood to do historical revisionism on Graduality, or try to adapt the plot to work with a 15-year-old, so I hope you skunk chewers can forgive my eventual anachronisms.

I'm happy about this new development, hopefully I won't be needing to restart this time. It hits far closer to where I aimed originally with Anna as a character, plus also getting the "fun to write" points from the replotting, which adds up to me being far more excited about this than either of the last two versions. I'm still not sure what to do with that plot, maybe let it die, but it could be saved by another character if I figure out what I want to do with it. Maybe. In any case, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment