Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Evaluation: Ananke 8

Internet decided to misbehave last night, so post today.

Last week has been more productive than usual, and by "usual" I mean the ones immediately preceding it, not those crazy times when I wrote 3 psychflares in one week. Ah, how I miss thee.

In any case. Plot! The plot of this arc (assuming "this arc" does indeed happen) has more or less been completely introduced. A few minor comments to be made and I think one or two things I could work out/improve/etc. but ultimately all the basic stuff is there. Also, a bit of character development, and (though it's not in what I wrote) I figured out some backstory for Lightedge which I hope will help his character make sense. Oh, also Samarkand's powers, though they won't be appearing this chapter.

Some hints at Void and 7Dash's relationship, which is not that big a deal, but should show eventually. Also universe backstory, which is a pain in the ass because I never know when I'm contradicting myself there, even though I keep handy file with notes on that. Can't really keep track of what details come up in conversation, especially when they are only implied and not outright stated. But I think it's coherent, so far.

Bad stuff! The pace of the earlier scenes is all wrong, I've been noticing. I think I should either interrupt the conversations with a bit more action, or at least prolong them so they don't seem rushed. The first one is the ideal, but I'm not quite sure how to pull it off. That's all stuff for the later editing, though, right now I want to get all the events typed out and clear. Once I manage that, I'll work into the details. Or decide to ignore them and publish what I have, but probably not.

There's one other thing I'm not quite sure about, and it's frustrating because it's something I wrote. I'm hinting at something and I don't know what it is I'm hinting at. Or rather I do, but I think I had a better idea about that earlier. I'll have to work on that again, but it's not too difficult, I'm hoping.

And there's a scene I'm debating whether I should keep it or not. It's useful, both plot-wise and transition-wise, but it might fit better in a later episode. Problem is that this one kinda deviated from the original plan, so the scene is a bit out of place. It was a positive change, as far as I'm concerned, but it screwed up my outline. (This is why I don't plan ahead, my writing isn't good at fitting outlines).

All in all, pretty positive developments. Two more weeks, I think, before editing time starts. But that might just be the planning fallacy talking, I know I don't have any solid data to make this forecast. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment